Quick links
Social media
Contact information

Turnstones, Point, Truro, Cornwall, TR3 6NB




0870 760 7360

BASI Instructor pathway

Working in France - Becoming a Stagière

British Ski Instructors are able to teach in France with a French Ski School, without having gained a BASI Level 4 ISTD qualification. A Level 2 or Level 3 instructor may join the French Training system and receive Trainee status (Stagiere) as long as they have completed the Test Technique.

To do this you need to apply for a “Livret de Formation”. This allows instructors to work in a French authorized Training Ski School for three to four years on an apprenticeship type basis.

Before you apply for your Livret de Formation you need to have gained a minimum of Level 2 Instructor Qualification and passed your Test Techinque (this is run by the French and not BASI) If you have completed your Level 3 ISIA you have also got to pass your Test Technique to work in France with a French ski school.

The Livret de Formation is not a qualification in itself but just the form that shows that you have entered the French system. It is written on a BEES Certificate because the Livret de Formation is a step towards the BEES 1º which is the lowest French professional qualification. This will be known to some as the Premier Cycle. The French instructors have to pass their Test Technique and their Eurotest before achieving their lowest award, the BEES 1º.

Once you have received your Livret de Formation, you are only allowed to work with an authorized French Ski School, you must sign a contract between an agreed French Ski School (Centre de Formation), the French “Ministère de la Jeunesse et des Sports” and work under the guidance of a “Conseiller de Stage” (Training Advisor) who is a full French Diplome.

Process for applying for a Livret de Formation in France.

This needs to be done through the main DDJS office in the Isère (Direction Départementale de la Jeunesse et des Sports) Marc Vernier is the man responsible for organising the paperwork for all foreign Snowsport Instructors working in France. You must send him the following documents:

  • A photocopy of your BASI Certificate (Level 2 Instructor or Level 3 ISIA)
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • A stamped, self addressed envelope
  • A brief letter explaining that you would like to become a Stagiere and integrate into the French system. Please click here for a template of this letter.

Once you have received your Livret de Formation you will then need to apply for your “Attestation de Stagiere de Ski” which will provide you with a “Numero d’Enregistrement”. To obtain this document you will need to write to your departmental DDJS office (depending on the region that you plan to teach in, you need to apply to the corresponding region's DDJS office)

Fortunately most ski schools will allow you to work with just your Livret de Formation certificate, as long as they know that you have sent off for the final document.

Process for applying for an Attestation de Stagiere de Ski.

Send the following documents to the relevant DDJS regional office:

  • A photocopy of your Livret de Formation
  • 2 passport photos
  • A photocopy of your passport
  • 2 stamped (French stamp) and self addressed envelopes (ideally A5)
  • A current police record (British one is accepted)
  • A brief letter explaining that you would like to apply for your Attestation de Stagiere de Ski and who you are going to be working for. Please click here for a template of this letter.

This could take from a few weeks to a few months to be sent back to you.
The Savoie Department, Chambery is responsible for the 3 Valleys and Tarentaise. Grenoble for Les 2 Alpes, Alp D’Huez and resorts in this area. Haute Savoie, Annecy for Portes Du Soleil, Chamonix, Megeve and resorts in this area. For all contact details for all Rhone Alps DDJS offices go to www.gincv.com
The French Ski School that you are going to work for will be able to give you the above information.

Our partners